Public bug reported:

Nautilus will hide "behind the desktop" after opening certain files,
video files with VLC being the primary offender.

These folders re appear if one closes all windows and presses alt tab,
triggering the "Restore windows" option.

Additionally, such folders will not register as having Nautilus open for
the unity side bar, and attempting to press the icon on the side bar
does nothing.

Ubuntu version:16.04
Nautilus version:1:3.18.4.is.3.14.3-0ubuntu5

What I expected to happen: Nautilus windows say up in the background and are
interact-able as if normal windows
What happened instead: Windows hide themselves in the background and pretend to
not exist.

** Affects: nautilus (Ubuntu)

  nautilus hides behind desktop

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu: