I tried replicating #12 with little success on my Aquaris E5. I too have
no ring tone, dial tone or "bleep" when changing the volume, but
headphones work just fine. I unmuted pathwind and made a factory reset
to no avail.

But I noticed that when watching videos with the standard browser I get
barely audible sound when turning up the volume. Unfortunately, changing
the volume here has no effect on the ring tone etc. If the solution
really is to find the exact web page or app that caused the problem, I
am at a loss. For all I know, this could be a defunct app I immediately
uninstalled and forgot all about, or a ad played by some news site.

Is there a tool similar to alsamixer for pulseaudio for independently
controlling speaker volume an headphones volume? I tried (re)moving
~/.config/pulse, but that had no effect.

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu phone / Aquaris E5: no ringtones when receiving calls, no sound
  when receiving messages; no sound on speakers

Status in indicator-sound package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  Aquaris E5 HD, Ubuntu Edition; Ubuntu 15.04, OTA-8.5

  My phone does not ring / play sound on speakers. No problems to answer
  calls, when having notice by vibrating / display notification; Have
  phone for some weeks now - at very beginning it worked; short after it
  stopped playing sounds; swithched sound on in pathwind & uninstalled
  pathwind - no difference; sometimes it plays ringtones - but have no
  idea under which circumstances; even when it rang for one time it does
  not anymore one call later, although I did not make any changes in
  settings between the calls; does not play sounds / ringtones when
  selecting them in settings (no difference which ringtone).

  Today I made full reset on phone (by Settings) - still no sounds.