Nominated for Xenial since this is presumably fixed in Yakkety.  I
understand your frustration, claus.  I also would very much like this
fixed in Xenial, but I still believe (to my own dismay) that the Low
importance is appropriate per the triage guidelines - see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Importance.

To get this fixed in Xenial, somebody needs to go through the process
for a SRU - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates

Packages, which is subscribed to texlive-extra in Ubuntu.

  titlesec does not render section numbers

Status in texlive-extra package in Ubuntu:

  The titlesec package does not work properly after distribution upgrade
  to 16.04LTS.

  Steps to reproduce:
  1) Create a tex document and include titlesec
  2) Create some sections headers via \section{Some section}
  3) Run pdflatex/lualatex/xelatex

  What should happen
  The section should be created with the corresponding number: 1 Some Section

  What happens
  Only the text is present: Some Section

  If the section header format is changed via \titleformat, the entire
  formatting disappears from the final pdf.

  Might be related to
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.text.tex/MBd3-o2Dzx8

  Ubuntu Version: 16.04 LTS
  texlive-latex-extra Version: 2015.20160320-1