Which version of Ubuntu are you using?  What is the output of this
command?:

apt-cache policy libgstreamer1.0-0

** Changed in: totem (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to totem in Ubuntu.

  Some (radio)streams are not played

Status in totem package in Ubuntu:

  Hello,
  I want listen to YLE-Radio from Finland, but the web-stream do not play in
Totem.

  Here are some YLE-stations with HLS streams:

  Radio YleX/Finland Swedish:
  HLS URL: http://yleuni-f.akamaihd.net/i/yleliveradiohd_2@113879/master.m3u8

  Yle Puhe/Talk:
  HLS URL: http://yleuni-f.akamaihd.net/i/yleliveradiohd_5@113882/master.m3u8

  1) This does not work.
  I copy & paste the URL via Totem's "Add Web Video" menu.  The stream does not
play.

  2) This method works fine.
  I wget the stream (playlist URL) first.

  $ wget http://yleuni-f.akamaihd.net/i/yleliveradiohd_2@113879/master.m3u8
  Then click on the ^master.m3u8^ file and Totem/Video plays the stream with
success.
  -----

  This official YLE-page has more stations (browse down).

http://yle.fi/aihe/artikkeli/2014/12/13/radio-ohjelmien-kuuntelu-lataus-ja-tilaus
  Or see: http://www.radio-browser.info

  Please study also this bug report on Gradio.
  https://github.com/haecker-felix/gradio/issues/36