I wonder if this is a compiler error?  Can anyone tell if Chromium for
Ubuntu 14.04 and Chromium for 16.04 have different build flags, or if
their configure scripts detect something different?   To me, it seems
like if they have the same or very similar build flags, 16.04 build
breaks but 14.04 build doesn't, it implies gcc-5.4 is misbuilding
something that gcc-4.8 isn't (or, much less likely, gcc-5.4 is building
something correctly but chromium relies on some misbehavior of older
gcc.)

I have an Acer Chromebook 13 (Tegra K1) which had 14.04 on it; Chromium
52 or 53 worked fine.  Went to 16.04 (managing to hold back X so I could
keep the nvidia driver...) and chromium blew up as others have reported.

I also found the 14.04 build of (at this point, chromium 53) worked fine
after I set "--disable-namespace-sandbox"... I had the "Aw, snap!" but
found (per google) that "--disable-namespace-sandbox" fixed it without
the ill effects of "--no-sandbox".

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  Chromium-browser armhf crashes with "InitializeSandbox() called with
  multiple threads in process gpu-process"

Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:

  crashes on startup with

  [2457:2457:0322/182419:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(334)] InitializeSandbox()
called with multiple threads in process gpu-process
  Segmentation fault

  System ODROID XU3 armhf