** Description changed:

- Nautilus will hide "behind the desktop" after opening certain files,
- video files with VLC being the primary offender.
+ standard Nautilus file windows will hide and be unable to be accessed
+ after opening any file, or clicking any other window. The only way to
+ get these windows to be reselectable is either to press alt-tab after
+ closing all other windows, triggering the restore window option, or to
+ restart unity, but the windows, while visable, still aren't properly
+ selectable.

+ The nautilus icon won't glow under basically any circumstances. If you
+ open up a nautilus instance, the icon will flash-on-load like any other
+ window, but it won't remain colored.

- These folders re appear if one closes all windows and presses alt tab,
triggering the "Restore windows" option.
+ The net effect of this, is that every time I want to open a file through
+ nautilus, I have to open up a new instance of nautilus.

- Additionally, such folders will not register as having Nautilus open for
- the unity side bar, and attempting to press the icon on the side bar
- does nothing.

  Ubuntu version:16.04
  Nautilus version:1:3.18.4.is.3.14.3-0ubuntu5

- What I expected to happen: Nautilus windows say up in the background and are
interact-able as if normal windows
- What happened instead: Windows hide themselves in the background and pretend
to not exist.
+ Action: Open a file using nautilus or select another window while nautilus is
the active window
+ What I expected to happen: Nautilus window will stay active in the background.
+ What happened instead: Nautilus window will stay hidden under almost any
circumstances.
+
+
+ Action: Click the Nautilus unity icon
+ What I expected to happen: Nautilus icon will glow, and open nautilus windows
can be accessed by right clicking the icon
+ What happened instead: Nautilus window will flash for loading, and open
nautilus windows cannot be accessed by right clicking the nautilus icon.

  nautilus hides behind desktop

Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu: