The link you provided (http://askubuntu.com/q/787244/25388) shows you
solved the dependency problem (it's indeed a matter of installing deja-
dup AND deja-dup-backend-gvfs), so I'm closing this bug. See also bugs
1606449 and 1641423 for more about this dependency issue.

The other problem you mention in that AskUbuntu question is related to
permissions on a NTFS volume mounted as root, if I understand correctly.
This is unrelated to the dependency issue and this bug report. Also,
Déjà Dup is supposed to be used by a normal user to back up their own
user data to a location that is writable by that user. There are better
tools for root to back up a complete disk or several users' data. This
is not the focus of Déjà Dup.

** Changed in: deja-dup (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to deja-dup in Ubuntu.

  deja-dup 34.2 fails on dependencies

Status in deja-dup package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Similar as #1576394 but the bug did not resolve with `sudo apt-get
  install duplicity python-gi`.

  System: Ubuntu 16.04
  Linux kernel: 4.6
  Deda-dup: 34.2

  Package: deja-dup 34.2-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Wed Jun 15 12:52:37 2016
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160420.1)
  SourcePackage: deja-dup