Public bug reported:

OS: Ubuntu (MATE) 16.04

Each time I login into pidgin I get this exact warning: "Unable to add
the buddy 1 for an unknown reason."

I'm using ICQ only. This warning appears only once each time pidgin
starts. Other than that warning Pidgin works fine and I have no issues.
During the last years I've been using a radical method to get rid of
that message: I'm removing the message entirely from
libpurple/protocols/oscar/oscar.c (see attached patch).

I thought that maybe you can add a little checkbox to the window to not
make that message appear again? Or something else like an environment
variable or a dotfile that I need touch(1) which silences it at my will.

** Affects: pidgin (Ubuntu)

** Tags: icq

** Patch added: "pidgin-remove-icq-error-message.patch"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1647753/+attachment/4788142/+files/pidgin-remove-icq-error-message.patch

Packages, which is subscribed to pidgin in Ubuntu.

  "Unable to add the buddy 1 for an unknown reason" warning

Status in pidgin package in Ubuntu: