Thanks seb128 for the feedback.

The monitor delay change does not appear to cause the invalid desktop
entries - that appears to be the rest of the Ubuntu specific patchwork.

Just to reiterate - taking the current Debian Stretch package and
rebuilding for Zesty. Absolutely no issues and no need for additional
patches.

With the current Ubuntu package.  All current patches EXCEPT the monitor
delay causes the invalid desktop entries.

With the current Ubuntu package including the existing monitor delay
patch causes both invalid desktop entries + random crashes i.e. the
random errors such as this bug report.

With the current Ubuntu package + our suggested 81-unref patch, we no
longer see invalid desktop entries crashes but we occasionally see the
random error crashes such as this bug report.

With the current Ubuntu package + our suggested 81-unref patch + our
revised monitor changes patch we no longer see desktop entries crashes
and we no longer see random error crashes.

These above are our observations - I don't particularly understand the
patchwork ubuntu has - so I'm a bit reluctant to say categorically which
of the other Ubuntu patches cause the invalid desktop entries crashes.

I've discussed with upstream and we've tried several rework attempts
with the budgie-desktop code itself to no joy - so we have concluded
(rightly or wrongly) its not budgie-desktop per-se that is the issue -
it seems to be gnome-menus and ubuntu's version that is the issue.

---

FYI - for 17.04 Ubuntu Budgie is going to be using v10.2.9 of budgie-
desktop and hence will be affected by the issues raised.

For 17.10 Ubuntu Budgie is going to be using either v11 of v12 of
budgie-desktop - here upstream have completely rewritten this area and
the code-base no longer uses gnome-menus and thus we no longer need the
the suggested patches described here.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-menus in Ubuntu.

  hostname-panel crashed with SIGSEGV in g_slice_alloc()

Status in budgie-desktop:
  Fix Released
Status in budgie-desktop package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in gnome-menus package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  Testing in VirtualBox (xubuntu)
  Clean install of Release Candidate, updated and reboot.
  Opened terminal and installed synaptic
  Wend to budgie menu and left frame frozen and then panel crash.

  ProblemType: Crash
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.10
  Package: budgie-core 10.2.7-2
  CurrentDesktop: Budgie:GNOME