app layer is almost identical between 16.04 and ZZ, I wonder if it is
lower down in the stack.

On 16.04, uname -a: Linux mparillo-HP-EliteBook-8440p 4.4.0-57-generic
#78-Ubuntu SMP

On ZZ, uname -a: Linux mparillo-HP-EliteBook-8440p 4.9.0-11-generic
#12-Ubuntu SMP

lspci: 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series
Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 05)

** Affects: alsa-driver (Ubuntu)

** Tags: kubuntu zesty

** Tags added: zesty

** Tags added: kubuntu

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  Internal Microphone works on 16.04, but not on ZZ

Status in alsa-driver package in Ubuntu:

  My microphone (built in, or using the plug-in jack) works just fine in
  16.04 with the Kubuntu backports PPA, but not in ZZ. This is in two
  partitions on the same laptop. I think System Settings multimedia
  looks the same in both 16.04 and ZZ.

  Since it is the same piece of HW, and with the backports, I assume the

  #78-Ubuntu SMP

  On ZZ, uname -a: Linux mparillo-HP-EliteBook-8440p 4.9.0-11-generic
  #12-Ubuntu SMP