guillem, this bug report is being closed due to your last comment
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sane-
backends/+bug/295094/comments/1 regarding this being fixed by
reinstalling the driver. For future reference you can manage the status
of your own bugs by clicking on the current status in the yellow line
and then choosing a new status in the revealed drop down box. You can
learn more about bug statuses at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/Status.
Thank you again for taking the time to report this bug and helping to
make Ubuntu better. Please submit any future bugs you may find.

** Changed in: sane-backends (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to sane-backends in Ubuntu.

  xsane crashes brother MFC-7820N

Status in sane-backends package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I have installed the multitask brother MFC-7820N with scan options
  working fine in my Ubuntu Hardy Heron but when I have upgraded to
  Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex the system does not detect the scanner although
  all the brother configurations are all right. If I write in the
  terminal:

  brsaneconfig2 -q

  then outputs:
  0 SCANNER1            "MFC-7820N"         I:192.168.1.51

  Anyway, if you try to scan without the brother scanner enabled the
  application crashes showing this output: "Floating comma exception" or
  something like that (free translation from Spanish).