Public bug reported:

Looks like someone forgot to delete a pointer... I see a lot of "memory
leak" bugs, but they all have "Fix Released" associated with them, and
so I am going to report this.

Relevant Screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/HuJrRab.png

That number ramps up massively when I click on my box revealing the
available networks.

1) The release of Ubuntu you are using, via 'lsb_release -rd' or System ->
About Ubuntu
Release:        16.10

2) The version of the package you are using, via 'apt-cache policy pkgname' or
by checking in Software Center
network-manager | 1.2.4-0ubuntu1

3) What you expected to happen
Not causing my computer to freeze when it runs out of memory.

4) What happened instead
I have to reboot.

** Affects: network-manager-applet (Ubuntu)

** Tags: leak memory

Packages, which is subscribed to network-manager-applet in Ubuntu.

  Massive nm-applet memory leak on the Heap

Status in network-manager-applet package in Ubuntu: