Public bug reported:

Problem:

I have a large, multi-monitor desktop workstation (4224x1280).
Generally when I want remote access to it, it's from a laptop with a
much smaller screen, and usually with much lower resolution -- my
macbook is 1440x900.

Background:

Many VNC servers are capable of sharing a specific rectangle.  This is
helpful under certain specific situations, but is impractical to set up
ahead of time when you don't have a specific task in mind.

Feature request:

Add an "application viewport mode," which traps application focus
changes through the alt-tab window.  Upon selecting a new application
for focus, it resizes the server viewport to the dimensions of the
window selected.  At least in Unity, one of the focusable windows (in
the alt-tab list) is the Desktop, meaning that full-desktop
functionality is still accessible.

I'm not sure if there's a better way to handle multiple workspaces than
switching back to the desktop, changing to the other workspace, and then
alt-tabbing into the new application.

** Affects: vino (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to vino in Ubuntu.

  Needs feature to resize viewport to match focussed application

Status in vino package in Ubuntu: