The challenge with the desktop display name is the one to many
relationship of snaps to apps.

Here's a couple of cases:

1. A single snap with a single (graphical) app. This is probably going
to be the vast majority of snaps used on desktop. In this case using the
"Name" field from the is both desirable and most appropriate since this
ensures the installed icon matches the name shown in GNOME Software (or
other client).

2. A single snap with multiple (graphical) apps. While this is probably
less likely than case 1 there are some examples:

2a. A snap with a number of top-level apps. In this case the snap acts as an
app bundle. An example of this is Libreoffice. We could either:
- Show a name that is a combination of the "Name" fields from each .desktop
file. e.g. "Libreoffice Writer, Libreoffice Calc, ..."
- Show a "bundle name" as taken from the "title" field of the snap, e.g.
"Libreoffice".
- Split the snap into an item for each app in the libreoffice snap in GNOME
Software. This going to be a complex user experience (installing one will
install multiple apps, GNOME Software doesn't really support this concept).

2b. A snap with a primary app and one or more supporting apps. In this
case the supporting apps are probably not worth explicitly mentioning.
We could use case 1 for this. However, there's no way to determine
between case 2a and 2b.

My thoughts on this is the best solution is to have a "title" field in the
snap, but if that isn't present fall back on the "Name" field from the first
.desktop file and the snap name after that. This gives the snap developer the
maximum flexibility to do the right thing for the type of snap and matches the
field they've already entered in the snap store. Snapcraft would ideally check
if the title field is absent but .desktop files are provided and prompt the
user to keep the snap metadata fields set and in sync.

I'm not sure what the vision is for snaps and desktop but I'd highly
recommend that we discourage case 2 above (multiple graphical apps per
snap) as I think it's a bad user experience.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-software in Ubuntu.

  Add a title field to snap metadata

Status in Developer registration portal:
  New
Status in Snappy:
  New
Status in gnome-software package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in snapcraft package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in snapd package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in snapd-glib package in Ubuntu:

  There are currently three naming fields in the snap metadata:
  name: a codename for the snap (can't contain spaces)
  summary: a one-line description of the snap

  For example for the Ubuntu calculator app we have:
  name: ubuntu-calculator-app
  summary: Ubuntu Calculator app

  What is missing is the 'title' field from the store - this is more
  appropriate to use in a graphical system to display this. For example,
  this should be "Calculator" for ubuntu-calculator-app.

  I think the following needs to be done:
  1. A title field needs to be specified in the .snap metadata.
  2. snapd needs to return this field for local snaps from the metadata, and
return the store field for searches.
  3. The store should take the title field from the metadata when uploading and
automatically set it in the store.
  4. Snapcraft needs to have updated documentation / prompt the user to enter
this field.
  5. snapd-glib needs support for this field.
  6. GNOME Software should use this field where appropriate.