This is still a problem. There is more than one facet to this bug. The
first is that in bluetooth-client.c it tries to connect via the order in
which the connection types are listed. 'HSP' is the first type and so it
is selected. This should be changed and 'HSP', which is the lower
quality setting, should be moved down the list.

The other, interested side of this bug (which is probably PulseAudio's
fault), is that in my experience the headset has to be power-cycled in
order to properly receive audio even when the correct audio sync is
selected by default.

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-control-center in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu chooses worst quality when connecting to bluetooth headset

Status in unity-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  I have a set of bluetooth headphones, model Arctic P311. When I
  connect to these with Ubuntu, the selected mode is Telephony Duplex
  (HSP/HFP). I always want High Fidelity Playback (A2DP). My Android
  phone and my Windows computer both select the best mode (A2DP), in my
  experience. At least I don't need to fiddle about to change the mode
  when using either of those systems.

  Package: unity-control-center 14.04.3+14.04.20140922-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-43.72-generic 3.13.11.11
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-43-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.6
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Sat Jan 10 21:14:12 2015
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release amd64
(20140722.2)
  SourcePackage: unity-control-center
  usr_lib_unity-control-center:
   activity-log-manager 0.9.7-0ubuntu14
   deja-dup             30.0-0ubuntu4
   gnome-control-center 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu56.1