** Also affects: deja-dup (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: deja-dup (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: duplicity (Ubuntu)

** Summary changed:

- The Ubuntu Backups tool isn't helpful for restoring your home directory
+ Warn the user before doing a restore of configuration files

** Also affects: deja-dup

** Changed in: deja-dup

** Changed in: deja-dup

Packages, which is subscribed to deja-dup in Ubuntu.

  Warn the user before doing a restore of configuration files

Status in Déjà Dup:
  Triaged
Status in deja-dup package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in duplicity package in Ubuntu:

  Following an unrelated crisis on my new laptop (okay I'll admit it: I
  forgot my drive encryption passphrase), I took steps while it was
  still fully functional to make a backup of ~ for later restore.
  Fortunately the tools guided me into a backup of /home ignoring the
  Trash and my Downloads directory.  I wrote it to an SD card that had
  plenty of space, verified the install, did a test restore to a
  temporary directory, and then was satisfied enough to flatten the
  machine.

  After my first boot, I launched the backups tool and ran a full
  restore from this backup, putting the files in their normal locations.

  At this point, Unity INSANED.  I ended up with a desktop that
  consisted of nautilus, the default wallpaper, and not much else.  I
  ended up going into a vc with Ctrl+Alt+F1, but couldn't find any
  obvious culprits.  No amount of logging out and in, or of rebooting
  could save me from this situation.

  Either the tools should be more cautious about restoring dangling
  symlinks, files being watched by dbus et al, and permissions races
  (Yeah, you'll have trouble writing that file into the directory you
  faithfully restored as 0555.  You have the technology to avoid this
  problem), or it should warn the user against doing a full restore of
  /home like that.  I ended up restoring to a secondary location and
  selectively pulling files into place again, in the end.

  Package: duplicity 0.6.23-1ubuntu4.1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.13.0-29.52-generic 3.13.11.2
  Uname: Linux 3.13.0-29-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.14.1-0ubuntu3.2
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: Unity