For years I had to execute the following commands in a startup script, to make
my mouse usable:
xinput set-prop 11 "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" 2
xinput set-prop 11 "Device Accel Velocity Scaling" 5

Then, a while ago, these commands stopped working or made too little changes.
Therefore, I had to additionally include this command:
xset m 7/4 6

Now all these commands stopped working again or make too little changes.

Honestly: THIS IS SILLY!!

I love linux, but this not only is a crucial issue that persists over
many years, but additionally all workarounds get sabotaged after some
times!

Packages, which is subscribed to unity-control-center in Ubuntu.

  Mouse pointer speed too fast

Status in unity-control-center package in Ubuntu:

  Even at its slowest setting, the mouse pointer speed is too fast.

  Some people may not be able to use this OS due to this silly detail.