Public bug reported:

When installing an icon using a command such as "sudo xdg-icon-resource
install --novendor --context apps --size 256 synaesthesia.png
synaesthesia", the ownership of the file created at
/usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps/synaesthesia.png is set to
root:root, but the permissions aren't changed.

I ran into this problem when installing a .desktop file and icon and
finding that the icon failed to show up. The problem was that the .png
file was not world readable, and so after the ownership was changed it
was not readable to me anymore.

xdg-icon-resource does at least remove the setuid and setgid bits, so
although I can make a copy of bash with the .png extension, install
that, and run it, I can't use this to make a setuid root bash.

"sudo xdg-desktop-menu install" seems to do the same thing with the
files it puts in /usr/share/applications

Package: xdg-utils 1.1.1-1ubuntu2
NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia
ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu8.2
Architecture: amd64
CurrentDesktop: XFCE
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to yakkety on 2016-10-13 (175 days ago)

** Affects: xdg-utils (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug yakkety

Packages, which is subscribed to xdg-utils in Ubuntu.

  xdg-icon-resource does not set permissions when installing icon

Status in xdg-utils package in Ubuntu: