That's indeed what seems to be the case, and this has already been
debugged. The issue is that the code that does the override on upgrade
looks for the wrong version of NetworkManager, since it has been updated
in Xenial.

This change has been in the process of being tested; I'll upload to the
release proper as soon as I know that it really does work.

The netplan code itself should be created only on new installs; for an
upgrade, it's not there, and thus we need to explicitly write an
override for NM via NM postinst.

  No network connectivity after upgrade from 16.04 to 16.10

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  nplan was installed during the upgrade process but I had no network
  connectivity after upgrading. Apparently, no package wanted to manage
  my ethernet connection.

  Package: ubuntu-release-upgrader-core 1:16.10.10
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu8.2
  Architecture: amd64
  CrashDB: ubuntu
  CurrentDesktop: Unity
  Date: Mon Mar 27 11:34:04 2017
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring Ringtail" - Alpha amd64 (20130116)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: ubuntu-release-upgrader
  Symptom: ubuntu-release-upgrader
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to yakkety on 2017-03-17 (10 days ago)
  VarLogDistupgradeTermlog:

  modified.conffile..etc.update-manager.meta-release: [modified]
  mtime.conffile..etc.update-manager.meta-release: 2013-10-08T06:39:09.818913