I confirm the issue. I cannot login through VPN anymore since I updated
from 16.10 to 17.04. I will also add to that it is impossible now to
configure the VPN connections. The "Configure VPN..." option in the menu
is grayed out and cannot be selected anymore from the NetworkManager.

Packages, which is subscribed to network-manager-openvpn in Ubuntu.

  OpenVPN not Working in 17.04

Status in NetworkManager:
  New
Status in network-manager-openvpn package in Ubuntu:

  I can definitely confirm that Network Manager's OpenVPN is not working
  yet in Ubuntu 17.04.

  I set up my configuration via import:
  http://neartalk.com/ss/2017-03-29_001_633x332.png

  On all earlier versions of Ubuntu, after importing the configuration,
  I'm able to connect to the VPN. However, in 17.04, connection attempts
  always give this error immediately:

  "The VPN Connection disconnected because the VPN Service has stopped"

  Clearly the VPN Service has NOT stopped. I've confirmed that this
  error is false by taking the exact same import-file and I imported it
  into an Ubuntu 16.04 computer and then the VPN connected without
  issue. Also, with this same import-file I've had no issues in Ubuntu
  16.10.

  So I've thoroughly confirmed that there is no issue with the VPN
  service. The issue is with the client in Ubuntu 17.04.

  I cannot upgrade to 17.04 until this is fixed.

  Package: network-manager-openvpn-gnome 1.2.6-2ubuntu1
  CurrentDesktop: Unity:Unity7
  Date: Wed Mar 29 05:25:14 2017
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20160719)
  SourcePackage: network-manager-openvpn
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to zesty on 2017-03-27 (2 days ago)