With Firefox 53.0 and 17.04 this is still happening.  Only solution was
to disable the "Ubuntu Modifications" extension.  This is really
unfortunate, as the default behavior for all new Ubuntu installations is
for multi-processing to be disabled, which makes browsing slower and
less responsive.

Packages, which is subscribed to ubufox in Ubuntu.

  Firefox 49+ multiprocess windows feature (e10s) is disabled by ubufox

Status in ubufox package in Ubuntu:

  Firefox 49+ enables e10s by default:

  https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis

  But Ubuntu's "Ubuntu Modifications 3.2" extension disables it. In
about:support output it says:

  "Multiprocess Windows 0/1 (Disabled by add-ons)"

  If we manually disable "Ubuntu Modifications" extension, it works:

  "Multiprocess Windows 1/1 (Enabled by default)"

  I am using Xubuntu 16.04, firefox 49.0+build4-0ubuntu0.16.04.1,
xul-ext-ubufox 3.2-0ubuntu1.