Thank you for reporting this bug to Ubuntu.
Ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) reached end-of-life on April 30, 2011.

See this document for currently supported Ubuntu releases:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Please upgrade to the latest version and re-test.

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  koala alpha 3: after installation of 'kile' pulse audio doesn't work

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  I installed on a fresh Karmic Koala alpha 3 Ubuntu (Gnome) the package
  'kile' and therefore some KDE-packages. After that the sound doesn't
  work for the whole Ubuntu system. I tried

  user@koala:~$pulseaudio -k
  user@koala:~$pulseaudio -D
  E: main.c: Daemon startup failed.

  That didn't help. Installing the 'phonon' package also didn't help and
  after installing 'systemsettings' I found out in the KDE-Menu by
  testing that pulse audio doesn't work but the 'nvidia nforce2 with
  alc650f' output device. For audacious2 the 'oss output plugin' works.