Thank you for the IPP attributes file.

Reported to CUPS upstream as

https://github.com/apple/cups/issues/4998

** Also affects: cups (Ubuntu)

** Bug watch added: github.com/apple/cups/issues #4998
   https://github.com/apple/cups/issues/4998

** Changed in: cups-filters (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: cups (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: cups (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to cups-filters in Ubuntu.

  Driverless printing to EPSON EP-879AW always print with monochrome

Status in cups package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in cups-filters package in Ubuntu:

  I tried Zesty's driverless printing feature, to print my EPSON EP-879AW
printer (which supports Apple Airprint).
  Seems well, except any printouts are monochrome.

  1) connect my Zesty machine to my home network via Wi-Fi
  2) connect the printer to my home network via Wi-Fi
  3) use system-config-printer, the print queue connected to the printer is
automatically added.
  4) print some colored from any applications, like Chromium web browser,
LibreOffice or else.

  Expected Result:
  - documents printed in color.

  Actual Result:
  - documents printed in monochrome.

  NOTE:
  driverlesstest.ppd, generated by following command is attached:

  $ lpadmin -p driverlesstest -E -v ipp://EPSONxxxxx.local:631/ipp/print
  -m everywhere

  By using FileDevice feature of CUPS, generated CUPS-raster file is already
monochrome data.
  ---
  $ file /tmp/driverless.prn
  /tmp/driverless.prn: Cups Raster version 2, Big Endian, 360x360 dpi,
2976x4209 pixels 1 bits/color 1 bits/pixel ColorOrder=Chunky ColorSpace=black
  ---

  I guess that the problem is pdftoraster filter generates monochrome
  data although the generated PPD contains "*ColorDevice: True."