Would it be fair to guess is this same as, or related to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/1686568

  Firefox gets stuck in a page fault

Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

  I recently upgraded to zesty from yakkety, and occasionally Firefox
  (53.0+build6-0ubuntu0.17.04.1) and Thunderbird
  (45.8.0+build1-0ubuntu1) get stuck in a page fault. In the journal the
  kernel notices that a thread is stuck in a spinlock waiting for a page
  fault to return, but it never returns. This log message repeats until
  the machine is shutdown. This appears to happen when I'm using the
  computer (rather than when it's idle), and the machine slowly becomes
  less usable until I reboot it. As it's waiting in the kernel killing
  the process does nothing, it leaves a zombie using 100% of a CPU
  thread.

  My machine is a Core i7-6700, 64GB DDR4, Geforce 1050 Ti, with an SSD.
  Everything is running at stock clocks and it doesn't appear to be heat
  related. I ran memtest for a while with no memory faults reported.