Thank you for reporting this bug to Ubuntu.
Ubuntu 12.10 (quantal) reached end-of-life on May 16, 2014.

See this document for currently supported Ubuntu releases:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

We appreciate that this bug may be old and you might not be interested
in discussing it any more. But if you are then please upgrade to the
latest Ubuntu version and re-test.

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  PandaBoard audio loud pops after playing sound over headphone jack

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  On quantal images, most recently reproduced on panda armhf desktop
  omap4 image from 20121005

  This is easily reproducible when using the headphone jack and any
  audio, even the sound test from sound settings easily reproduces the
  problem.  Usually after a sound plays, but sometimes at the beginning
  of another one, there is a loud "pop" over the headphone jack.  If I
  switch the audio output to hdmi, I do not have this problem.

  Package: alsa-base 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-212.19-omap4 3.5.4
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-212-omap4 armv7l
  ApportVersion: 2.6.1-0ubuntu1
  Architecture: armhf
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC1:  ubuntu     1692 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  ubuntu     1692 F.... pulseaudio
  Date: Fri Oct  5 12:04:43 2012
  EcryptfsInUse: Yes
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" - Beta armhf+omap4
(20121005)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: alsa-driver
  Symptom: audio
  Symptom_Card: OMAPHDMI - OMAPHDMI
  Symptom_Type: No auto-mute between outputs
  Title: [PandaBoard - PandaBoard, playback] No automute