Thank you for reporting this bug to Ubuntu.
Ubuntu 12.04 (precise) reached end-of-life on April 28, 2017.

See this document for currently supported Ubuntu releases:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

We appreciate that this bug may be old and you might not be interested
in discussing it any more. But if you are then please upgrade to the
latest Ubuntu version and re-test.

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Sound doesn't work can't get the pulseaudio or alsa drivers to work

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  Hello,
  I am having trouble with my sound drivers. The whole thing started with the
kernel update to linux-image-3.2.0-31-generic 3.2.0-31.50 (see
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1059521).
  First, I got things working with one user:
  mplayer -ao openal *.mp3

  Then when switching to an admin account (with sudo privileges), I can't play
sound normally, which worked after the initial buginess started, but has also
now stopped working. The same command above works no longer works for the admin
user.
  I have also played with the 'alsamixer' with the admin account.
  It tells me:
  $ alsamixer
  cannot open mixer: No such file or directory

  The same is no problem for the other non-admin user. Both users are
  part of the group 'audio'.

  Somehow it appears to be a hardware problem, but at the same time the
  permissions somehow are strange as well i.e. the difference between
  users.

  I appreciate any help.

  Brian

  Package: pulseaudio 1:1.1-0ubuntu15.1
  AlsaVersion: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.24.
  AplayDevices:
   Home directory /home/oney not ours.
   card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]
     Subdevices: 0/1
     Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p:   onb134    24271 F...m mplayer
   /dev/snd/timer:      onb134    24271 f.... mplayer
  Card0.Amixer.info:
   Card hw:0 'Intel'/'HDA Intel at 0xf0520000 irq 50'
     Mixer name : 'Realtek ALC662 rev1'
     Components : 'HDA:10ec0662,103c3048,00100101'
     Controls      : 25
     Simple ctrls  : 13