I had the same issue. I'm assuming a regression in Meson, but I haven't
checked.

Packages, which is subscribed to simple-scan in Ubuntu.

  Invalid, Meson-generated, valac arguments break the build

Status in simple-scan package in Ubuntu:

  I'm trying to build simple-scan according to the README file (on
  Arch). With colord, packagekit, and webp installed, Meson is building
  invalid args for the main build step, which prevents the project from
  building.

  The build declaration (meson.build) generates a Python list of
  vala_args. The list of args looks OK getting passed into executable().
  However, the auto-generated build.ninja is missing the required
  -D(efine) flags. As a result, it treats some of defines as filenames,
  and crashes.

  Vala/Meson/Ninja are new to me, so I'm not sure if the problem is with
  the build file, or the Meson generator, or what.

  # ./src/meson.build
  # If all three packages are installed, they're built into the Python list.
Somehow, the -D flags disappear during build generation
  vala_args = [ '--pkg=posix', '--vapidir=' + meson.current_source_dir () ]
  dependencies = [ glib_dep, gtk_dep, zlib_dep, cairo_dep, gdk_pixbuf_dep,
gusb_dep, sane_dep ]
  if colord_dep.found ()
      vala_args += [ '-D', 'HAVE_COLORD' ]
      dependencies += colord_dep
  endif
  if packagekit_dep.found ()
      vala_args += [ '-D', 'HAVE_PACKAGEKIT' ]
      dependencies += packagekit_dep
  endif
  if webp_dep.found () and (not colord_dep.found () or webpmux_dep.found ()) #
Webpmux only required if colord
      vala_args += [ '-D', 'HAVE_WEBP' ]
      dependencies += [ webp_dep, webpmux_dep ]
  endif

  simple_scan = executable ('simple-scan',
                            [ 'config.vapi',
                              'app-window.vala',
                              'authorize-dialog.vala',
                              'book.vala',
                              'book-view.vala',
                              'page.vala',
                              'page-view.vala',
                              'preferences-dialog.vala',
                              'simple-scan.vala',
                              'scanner.vala',
                              'screensaver.vala',
                              'autosave-manager.vala' ] + resources,
                            dependencies: dependencies,
                            vala_args: vala_args,
                            c_args: [ '-DVERSION="@0@"'.format
(meson.project_version ()),
                                      '-DGETTEXT_PACKAGE="simple-scan"',
                                      '-DLOCALE_DIR="@0@"'.format (localedir),
                                      '-DICON_DIR="@0@"'.format (icondir),

'-DI_KNOW_THE_PACKAGEKIT_GLIB2_API_IS_SUBJECT_TO_CHANGE' ],
                            link_args: [ '-lm' ],
                            install: true )

  # ./build/build.ninja
  # Snippet of the bad build step. Note the -D flag is missing (at the end)
  build src/simple-scan@exe/app-window.c src/simple-scan@exe/authorize-dialog.c
src/simple-scan@exe/book.c src/simple-scan@exe/book-view.c
src/simple-scan@exe/page.c src/simple-scan@exe/page-view.c
src/simple-scan@exe/preferences-dialog.c src/simple-scan@exe/simple-scan.c
src/simple-scan@exe/scanner.c src/simple-scan@exe/screensaver.c
src/simple-scan@exe/autosave-manager.c: vala_COMPILER ../src/config.vapi
../src/app-window.vala ../src/authorize-dialog.vala ../src/book.vala
../src/book-view.vala ../src/page.vala ../src/page-view.vala
../src/preferences-dialog.vala ../src/simple-scan.vala ../src/scanner.vala
../src/screensaver.vala ../src/autosave-manager.vala
   ARGS = -C --debug --pkg libwebpmux --pkg libwebp --pkg packagekit-glib2
--pkg colord --pkg sane-backends --pkg gusb --pkg gdk-pixbuf-2.0 --pkg cairo
--pkg zlib --pkg gtk+-3.0 --target-glib '$ 2.38' --pkg glib-2.0 -d
src/simple-scan@exe --gresources=../src/simple-scan.gresource.xml --pkg=posix
--vapidir=/home/dan/Projects/simple-scan/src HAVE_COLORD HAVE_PACKAGEKIT -D
HAVE_WEBP