** Also affects: gnome-desktop (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gnome-desktop (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-desktop in Ubuntu.

  Text is tiny on HiDPI screens

Status in gedit package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in gnome-desktop package in Ubuntu:

  I am on Artful and have switched to GNOME as GNOME is the default
  desktop now and Unity shows some instabilities.

  I am using a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon (2nd gen.) notebook with
  14-inch QHD (2560x1440) display, so I am well over the good old 72-dpi
  CRT resolution.

  With some effort I have at least got a somewhat useful scaling of the
  GUI elements (esp. text size), mainly by getting into Unity7, getting
  into the Display Settings there, removing my ~1.5 scaling factor,
  returning to GNOME, installing the advanced settings manager (gnome-
  tweak-tool or so) and setting a scaling factor of ~2). Large text in
  accessibilty does not work for me as it makes the text huge.

  Unfortunately gedit does not bother on these efforts, it seems to be
  hard-coded to 72 dpi and so the text is tiny, unusable not only for
  people with vision problems. As this is the default text editor, which
  is often also called by web browsers to display text files, this needs
  to get fixed.

  Please take this into account ASAP, ideally on 17.10 at the latest.
  Please consider backporting upstream fixes for achieving this goal.