** Tags added: multimonitor

** Also affects: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

** Summary changed:

- Can't Dock to Higher Resolution Monitor Without Reboot
+ Correct desktop scaling factor not used on hotplugging a monitor (until after
rebooting)

** Summary changed:

- Correct desktop scaling factor not used on hotplugging a monitor (until after
rebooting)
+ Correct desktop scaling factor not used when hotplugging a monitor (until
after rebooting)

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-desktop in Ubuntu.

  Correct desktop scaling factor not used when hotplugging a monitor
  (until after rebooting)

Status in Ubuntu GNOME:
  New
Status in gnome-desktop package in Ubuntu:

  The title is fairly self explanatory: I have an ASUS UX305C laptop
  with a UHD screen, and when I plug it into a 27 inch monitor via an
  HDMI cable to dock it, there's no way to achieve the standard DPI
  scaling that the system UI does without rebooting. With the major
  increases in 4k monitor popularity, docking a laptop to a higher
  resolution monitor is going to become a very common use case in the
  future, and attempts to accommodate it should be made. I know that
  this is difficult to do as not all programs draw things the same way,
  but you should at least be able to make this work for system apps.