> Did anyone try to replace caribou with onboard in gnome-shell, is that
> doable/easy?
I did, and came to the conclusion that fully replacing caribou with the
existing Onboard is close to impossible. That's mainly because applications
don't have access to the activities and authentication views. Can't search
applications or enter passwords with Onboard. In Wayland there was the
additional problem of gdk_wayland_window_set_accept_focus not being implemented
and Onboard uselessly sending key-strokes to itself.

There is an alternative approach, though, which I tried to outline in #4. The
idea was to embed Onboard directly into gnome-shell via shell extension and
custom clutter actors.
The good news is, that yes, it works. See attached screen-shot with the new
Onboard in the Activities view. It handles similar to the stand-alone
application, can be docked to screen-edge or left floating, resized and moved,
etc. Focusing is not an issue and it can be shown anywhere at any time.

There's plenty of work left to do, though. My goal has been to get
something usable in X and Wayland before Artful feature freeze. It is
already starting to get there in X, but problems remain in Wayland.

Wayland's input separation makes it hard to find replacements for anything that
generates input events, key-strokes, clicks or wants to receive global clicks
and key-presses. Accessibility features will probably take a hit. Mousetweaks
isn't getting ported to Wayland for the same reasons, so no hover-click support
for now. It's unclear if we will find replacements for the click mapping
buttons (right-, middle-, double-, drag-click).
Write access to /deb/uinput would help a lot in that regard, but this
undermines Wayland's security.

Other than that, we'll probably get most of the old Onboard's features
ported, including the new emoji palette, which hadn't been released yet.

Enabling Onboard in gnome-shell will mean having the Onboard_Indicator
extension installed and enabled. If disaster strikes, all that's needed
to return to the shell's built-in keyboard is to disable the extension.

** Attachment added: "The new onboard in gnome-shell, Wayland."

https://bugs.launchpad.net/onboard/+bug/1672465/+attachment/4909662/+files/onboard-clutter-actor-in%3Dwayland.jpg

Packages, which is subscribed to onboard in Ubuntu.

  Onboard doesn't work in Wayland

Status in Onboard:
  In Progress
Status in onboard package in Ubuntu:

  Onboard 1.4.1 on Ubuntu GNOME 17.04

  Onboard at least shows the keyboard now in GNOME on Wayland. But it
  doesn't send key presses to gedit or other native Wayland apps.