[Expired for pulseaudio (Ubuntu) because there has been no activity for
60 days.]

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Sound returns after killing pulseaudio

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  After upgrade to 12.10 from 12.04 I lost sound through my speakers again.
  When I plug in a headphone I have sound. Problem lies probably in Pulseaudio,
because I hear a short period (<2 s) through speakers after mute and unmute.
  This effect is toggled by the sound-indicator muting only (pulseaudio), not
on the alsamixer or card controls in pavucontrol or QASmixer.

  Output of alsa-info.sh: http://www.alsa-
  project.org/db/?f=5a9a15aafd216fb880268a672fa11e3c822c09a1

  I already tried most of the proposed solutions, but still no luck.

  UPDATE: in search of solutions, I tried to get a log of the pulseaudio
processes so I made a ~/.pulse/client.conf with autospawn=no and killed all
pulseaudio. After that I entered the command to verbose start pulseaudio. And
low and behold, I had sound (but it means that pulseaudio is not running,
because the sound-indicator applet and settings applet is not working. In QAS
mixer I get "Mixer device could not be opened"
  Function: snd_hctl_open
  Address: pulse
  Error: Connection is refused

  I kept the ~/.pulse/client.conf unchanged and restarted the system.
  Now I still have sound so it seems that with my system sound can be
  played but without pulse.

  UPDATE2
  For my provisional solution see last comment. Only drawback at this moment is
that however the sound levels are adjusted on plugging in a headphone, the
headphone is not muted after unplugging. I have to manually mute the headphone.