Public bug reported:

I recently upgraded to Xubuntu 17.04, and am experiencing an issue with
the xfce4-panel sound menu indicator. When I change the volume level
using the sound menu's slider, notify-osd will appear over the controls
and block use of the menu.

Another user experiencing this on a clean install:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/916735/notify-osd-over-indicators

Release:        17.04

xfce4-indicator-plugin:
  Installed: 2.3.3-0ubuntu6
  Candidate: 2.3.3-0ubuntu6
  Version table:
 *** 2.3.3-0ubuntu6 500
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu zesty/universe amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Expected outcome: notify-osd will appear under the sound menu like in previous
releases
Actual outcome: notify-osd appears over the sound menu, blocking the controls

** Affects: xfce4-indicator-plugin (Ubuntu)

** Attachment added: "Screenshot of the issue"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1708804/+attachment/4927437/+files/Screenshot.png

** Package changed: pulseaudio (Ubuntu) => xfce4-indicator-plugin
(Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  notify-osd appears over sound menu

Status in xfce4-indicator-plugin package in Ubuntu: