If I leave it alone when the notification appears, it does indeed
suspend successfully. That's not my concern in this bug. I'm more
looking at the notification with no idea what it actually means. The
fact I had to run some dbus monitor utility to find that out says it's
not a very good notification :)

Perhaps instead of

"Power
1 new notification"

It should say

"Power
Computer will suspend very soon because of inactivity"

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-power-manager in Ubuntu.

  Power notification appears with no detail

Status in gnome-power-manager package in Ubuntu:

  I locked my laptop screen. Some time later a notification appeared
  (see screenshot).

  "Power"
  "1 new notification"

  If I move the mouse the notification disappears. If I unlock the
  laptop there are no notifications pending anywhere. I have no idea
  where this text comes from or what it means. Is my battery low? is it
  full? Is there some other issue?

  Package: gnome-power-manager 3.24.0-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: zfs zunicode zavl zcommon znvpair
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME