This bug was fixed in the package gnome-shell - 3.24.3-0ubuntu3

---------------
gnome-shell (3.24.3-0ubuntu3) artful; urgency=medium

  * Add patch to allow setting volume above 100%:
    - debian/patches/70_allow_sound_above_100.patch, which allows the volume
      slider in the aggregatemenu to reflect and set correct current volume
      position. (LP: #1706524)
  * Add debian/patches/50_add_ubuntu_desktop_detect.patch to centralize
    current desktop detection.

 -- Didier Roche <didro...@ubuntu.com>  Wed, 16 Aug 2017 08:29:17 +0200

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

  Enable switch option to set volume above 100% from media keys and
  gnome shell UI

Status in GNOME Settings Daemon:
  Confirmed
Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in gnome-session package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in gnome-settings-daemon package in Ubuntu:

  Some devices have very office-oriented hardware and so, low volume power
speakers.
  The normal usage can make the sound unhearable on those configurations.

  We added in u-c-c an option to switch it above 100%, per max volume
  capability, and unity was picking up this value in its indicator and
  u-s-d.

  We desire thus to bring the same experience in the new ubuntu GNOME
  Shell session: gnome-control-center have a slider enabling setting the
  volume above 100%, however, this settings is only available in that
  panel, and if you use the media key or the GNOME Shell controls,
  volume is reset at 100% at max.

  Upstream GNOME doesn't seem to have genuine interests in enabling that
feature (see the discussion on the linked bug report). The proposal is thus:
  - only enabling that feature in the *ubuntu* sessions. Don't let the sound
(even if the key was enabled in the ubuntu session) goes above 100% in the
gnome sessions to preserve upstream desired experience.
  - reuse the same gsettings key (as long as it's not upstream) as we used to
have. Easy migrations, user's setting preservation and such
  - add this switch to gnome-control-center
  - modify GNOME Shell agregate menu (volume settings) to represent the % in
the volume slider corresponding to actual setting. We approach this as a distro
patch and not an extension. The extension approach was hacky (overriding a
callback, copying logic), and may work badly with well-designed other
extensions. Hence this untrusive distro-patch.
  - patch gnome-settings-daemon volume plugin for respecting this settings in
the global OSD and react to media keys
  - add a dependency from the ubuntu-session package on the schema, as reading
the schema is conditioned on the session name.