** Changed in: firefox (Ubuntu)

  Enable JACK support in firefox

Status in firefox package in Ubuntu:

  With the latest upgrade of Firefox, sound has broken again on non
  PulseAudio systems. Firefox has stopped support ALSA only systems, but
  have got some support for JACK. Since PA introduces trouble on systems
  where JACK is used, it is needed to make all audio applications work
  in some way, without PulseAudio. One reliable way of doing it has been
  to use the ALSA loop-back device, and to feed the output from that
  device to other JACK clients. Now, this option has been removed. To
  get things working again, I suggest one of the following options
  (depending on release):

   1. (Probably Xenial only) Downgrade to Firefox ESR *and* force-enable
  ALSA in that build. I believe they disabled it before the ESR, but the
  ESR maintains the option.

   2. (Releases after Xenial, and possibly also Xenial, if (1) is not
  considered as an option) Enable JACK support when compiling Firefox,
  and have pulsuudio|jackd as a requirement for Firefox

  I believe that (1) is the most conservative option, but it is only a
  solution for LTS releases. I think (2) is the way to go for the
  future.