This happened to me installing an no-name generic Nvidia Quadro NVS 290
pci-x into a Dell Optilplex  OptiPlex 210L 32 bit machine. (Dell service
tag FYF7Y91), which has an integrated Intel gpu using the i915 driver.
There is no way to 'disable' onboard video but you can 'autodetect'
added cards.

I took a video of the bootup with my phone and basically linux reboots
right after it tries to load the i915 driver. My workaround was to add
i915 to the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.cfg but it still didnt fix the
overall problem.

nomodeset works but the problem with adding 'nomodeset' is that this
prevents nouveau from working at all. Read around the internet and it
needs kms modesetting in order for it to work properly. If you use
nomodeset, then X boots up with software rendering, it doesnt use the 3d
graphics card at all. running 'glxinfo' will show gallium / softpipe /
llvm.

Installing proprietary Nvidia driver does not help either.

I poked around some kernel logs and basically it looks like nouveau
itself crashes and dumps a bunch of info.

In the end I gave up and am going to try using a different card.

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  Adding second graphics card causes infinite reboot loop for Ubuntu,
  but Windows boots.

Status in xserver-xorg-video-nouveau package in Ubuntu:
  Expired

Bug description:
  I have a motherboard which is able to use both the integrated graphics
  card and a dedicated graphics card at the same time.

  The integrated graphics card is an RS880 [Radeon HD 4200] with two
  outputs, powered by the foss radeon driver. To this I am trying to add
  a PCI-Express NVidia Quadro FX (I think it's a Quadro FX 3450).

  Windows 7 boots fine on this configuration and is able to use both
  cards concurrently (one monitor attached to each card). However,
  Ubuntu enters an infinite reboot loop with this configuration. The
  Live USB has the same problem. I was able to boot it into recovery
  mode, but was not able to start X from this configuration (lightdm
  hangs with a black screen, and 'startx' says my user account is not
  authorized).

  When I configured my BIOS to use only the Quadro FX without the
  integrated card, Ubuntu booted fine using the nouveau driver.

  Package: xserver-xorg 1:7.7+1ubuntu4
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-23.35-generic 3.5.7.2