Rachel,

We are tracking hundreds of gnome-shell crashes right now and have had a
few recent ones related to monitor configurations too.

In order to make progress on this bug we either need a stack trace (look
in /var/crash for crash files), or someone who experiences the problem
to debug it remotely (use a second machine to attach a debugger to
gnome-shell and get a trace of the crash that way).

My concern is that the problem description without a stack trace is so
vague it can easily be mistaken for some other bug. So please try to
gather that additional information. This may help:

http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingProgramCrash

And this is only a request for Rachel right now, so as to avoid
confusion from other peoples' similar issues.

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

  gnome-shell segv on wake from display or system sleep

  The observable symptom is that if I go away and let the computer go
  either to display sleep or suspend, when I come back and try to wake
  it up again, I find myself, after sliding up the lock screen, at the
  gdm login screen. I'm logged out, and logging in gives me a fresh new
  session. Anything I had open in the previous session is lost. (I'm
  getting used to saving stuff before I step away from the computer!)

  The only trace I've been able to find is that in /var/log/syslog I see
  a line like:

  Sep 28 14:38:44 fleetfoot kernel: [10621.432586] gnome-shell[1863]:
  segfault at 2c ip 00007f6200e82434 sp 00007ffc46f981c8 error 4 in
  libmutter-1.so.0.0.0[7f6200de4000+140000]

  This happens at the time of attempted wake, not the time of going to
  sleep. It's preceded by a lot of activity from gdm-x-session that I'm
  not sure is indicating any error, just the process of waking up. I
  will attach a portion of syslog surrounding the whole event in the
  hope it helps. (In fact attaching the whole current syslog file - it
  has two such events occuring in it, first display sleep/wake at 09:02
  this morning, and secondly (because I was experimenting) a suspend-
  wake at 14:38 this afternoon.

  This is only affecting Xorg sessions, and may possibly only be
  affecting where nvidia is in use, I'm not sure about that. But the
  fact it occurs on display wake alone, not needing the system itself to
  have suspended (I was trying suspend to see if it *avoided* the
  problem, which it doesn't), does point the finger in that direction I
  guess. But ultimately I'm guessing it's gnome-shell itself segfaulting
  that's causing the login session to end?

  Not observed on my Wayland system.

  This is not new as of the current version of gnome-shell but I think
  it is relatively recent. Now my hackintosh partition is wrecked by a
  failed upgrade to High Sierra I'm using my Linux system more in
  earnest than before, so I'm hitting this often enough for it to
  provoke a bug report (and much of the time, to just turn all auto
  suspend/display-sleep off and instead shut down the computer when I'm
  leaving it for any length of time).

  The ubuntu bug reporter is not picking this up by itself, so I presume
  a crash report of the sort that uses is not being saved.

  Package: gnome-shell 3.26.0-0ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME