IRC Log:

10:39   jackpot51       Can we talk about this patch again?
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/accountsservice/+bug/1699216
···
10:39   ubot5   Ubuntu bug 1699216 in gnome-initial-setup (Ubuntu) "Encrypted
home support" [Wishlist,Confirmed]
10:40   jackpot51       I just saw a new accountsservice show up, superseding
my patches for encrypted home.
10:40   jackpot51       Here is a debdiff of the patch I want to keep in
accountsservice, one that allows gnome-initial-setup and gnome-control-center
to support Encrypted Home
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/accountsservice/+bug/1699216/+attachment/4945507/+files/accountsservice_encrypt_home.debdiff
···
10:40   ubot5   Ubuntu bug 1699216 in gnome-initial-setup (Ubuntu) "Encrypted
home support" [Wishlist,Confirmed]
10:41   jackpot51       GunnarHj and others would you mind taking a look?
10:44   seb128  jackpot51, sounds a bit late in this cycle for such changes
10:47   jackpot51       All I want is the accountsservice patch, so we don't
have to hold a forked accountsservice
10:52   jbicha  we never found anyone willing to review the accountsservice
patch :(
10:53   jackpot51       Well, every time accountsservice gets updated in
Ubuntu, I get fucked. Why? Because I cannot rename the package.
10:53   jackpot51       So I am probably going to have to drop the patches for
encrypted home entirely
10:56   jbicha  once Ubuntu 17.10 is released, any SRUs for accountsservice
will have to age in -proposed for at least 7 days first. That gives you time to
update your PPA.
10:56   jackpot51       Ok, that would be good
10:57   jackpot51       Many users are getting pop-gnome-initial-setup removed
if they dist-upgrade
10:58   jackpot51       It doesn't break their systems, but it introduces a
significant amount of maintenance work
11:54   GunnarHj        Hi jackpot51, sorry if you felt ignored by my
accountsservice upload. That was not my intention.
11:54   GunnarHj        I have noticed your patches previously, but
unfortunately they are too complex for me to review. The change I uploaded was
a trivial one, and that's what I do - trivial stuff. :)
11:54   GunnarHj        Hopefully some experienced developer will find the time
in the beginning of next cycle.
11:57   jackpot51       I dropped all our patches. Users will have to wait
until Ubuntu can merge the patch, it is too much maintenance work to have
encrypted home in gnome-initial-setup and gnome-control-center
11:59   jackpot51       The only other alternative was to use an epoch, which
would make it impossible to go back to the Ubuntu version if the patches are
merged
12:00   dmj_s76 This patch represents a fairly important feature for us.

  Encrypted home support

Status in accountsservice package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in gnome-initial-setup package in Ubuntu:

  In the CreateUser D-bus call, allow the home directory of the new user
  to be encrypted.