VPN Providers are using OVPN files more often because you can bundle the
certificates and configuration into one file making them more relevant.

Last time I checked, the Import feature simply extracted supported values and
loaded them into the application? The problem with that approach is OpenVPN is
developed faster than network-manager-openvpn which means if network-m
anager-openvpn lags behind in supporting OpenVPN parameters, you're still left
in a situation where you simply can't use it.
By simply specifying a OVPN file which is then just directly passed to OpenVPN
as an argument without the same sort of processing, you can bypass this problem
and enjoy the benefits of the UI and integration network-manager-openvpn brings.

Packages, which is subscribed to network-manager-openvpn in Ubuntu.

  Allow specifying an existing ovpn file instead of using the GUI for
  options

Status in network-manager-openvpn package in Ubuntu:

  Like others in bug #364101, I have a .ovpn file that I can use to
  connect with the openvpn CLI, but I would prefer to use the GUI to
  manage my VPN connections.  Rather than try to add support for every
  configuration option into the GUI, could the ability to use an
  existing .ovpn file be added instead?

  If the openvpn client adds more features, they could be used
  immediately without waiting for a GUI update and people with working
  .ovpn files could easily use the GUI to manage their connections.