It's definitely not (directly) related to either of those - I can't even
get the display to come back on, let alone enter a password at the lock
screen.

  Failure to reactivate display after locking

Status in gdm3 package in Ubuntu:

  I'm using a laptop with no external monitors attached (System76 Oryx
  Pro 2016).

  After the screen is locked (either manually or via timeout) and it
blanks/deactivates the screen, the display remains deactivated and my session
is unrecoverable.
  (I can still ssh into the machine, but have so far been unable to get the
display back without rebooting, even via restarting gdm.)

  It seems somewhat similar to
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm3/+bug/1715811 , but it's
  only after the display is deactivated, and not at boot.

  The scope of the problem seems to be compounded by the fact that
  there's no straightforward way to prevent gnome-shell from blanking
  the screen when it locks.

  Package: gdm3 3.26.1-3ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME