This one sounds similar: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1727356

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-desktop in Ubuntu.

  17.10 Login To Wayland Fails Unless User Logs Into Unity First

Status in gnome-desktop package in Ubuntu:

  After upgrading from 17.04 to 17.10, it's not possible to log into the
  default 'Ubuntu' session unless I log into Unity first. If I log into
  Unity, immediately log out, then log into Ubuntu, it logs in without
  issue.

  If I don't log into Unity first, the login attempt to Ubuntu briefly
  shows a black screen, then returns immediately to the login prompt.

  From suspend or hibernate, I can continue using the Wayland session
  without issue through poweroff. If I reboot or shutdown, the first
  login needs to be Unity, then I can log out and back to the Ubuntu
  session normally.

  Attached is some output from syslog showing gnome-session related
  errors. I'm not sure if they show the specific error, but they do
  appear at the time a first Ubuntu login is attempted.