This bug was fixed in the package gnome-shell - 3.26.1-0ubuntu5

---------------
gnome-shell (3.26.1-0ubuntu5) artful; urgency=medium

  [ Didier Roche ]
  * Reenable headless patches and cherry-pick now that the gdm fix
    is in mutter. (LP: #1725153)
  * Add dep on latest mutter to ensure people don't end up in a non working
    UI state again.

  [ Jeremy Bicha ]
  * Restore dependency on gir1.2-gdm-1.0 (LP: #1725288)

 -- Didier Roche <didro...@ubuntu.com>  Thu, 19 Oct 2017 08:38:31 +0200

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu Artful)

  Reintroduce headless mode in GNOME Shell

Status in GNOME Shell:
Status in mutter package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in gnome-shell source package in Artful:
  Fix Released
Status in mutter source package in Artful:

  [Impact]

   * I day before the 17.10 release, we had to revert some commits in
  GNOME Shell due to https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnome-shell/+bug/1723577
  which was a release blocker (GNOME Shell not displaying anything on
  multiple config).

   * Pinging upstream, they debugged it and found the real issue in
  mutter, and so fixed it, which will enable us to align again with
  upstream's repo.

   * This should mostly be a no visible-effect for previously impacted
  users, but GNOME Shell shouldn't crash anymore in GDM (reverting then
  to Xorg), triggering apport on logging, and the users can then use
  Wayland instead of Xorg.

  [Test Case]

   * Install both mutter and gnome-shell to their latest version in -proposed
   * Reboot
   * Ensure you have an UI in GDM
   * Log in into your session, check that you have an UI and everything is
showing up as expected

  [Regression Potential]

   * Impact is a regression in GNOME Shell (showing up your entire UI)
  and not being able to log in. However, some of us (not impated by the
  bug) are already running latest version and don't see any issue. I
  have also asked 3 people being impacted by the bug and fixed by the
  revert to test upstream commits (prepared a package for them in a
  PPA), and they are running on it since yesterday, confirming Wayland
  is available.

   * The regressions are quite straightfoward to see: either you have an
  UI in GDM or none.