Till,

issue is really with new website too - because hplip tries to download from two
links: first from openprinting.com (where they stopped uploading plugin since
3.17.7 - here are reports where I told upstream about it
https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/1708606
https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/1644932 , but without any reply), and
then if first link fails it tries to download from www.hplipopensource.com,
which provided plugins too (and upstream used it as workaround, because they
didn't upload new plugin to openprinting.org before releasing new version, so
it resulted in errors). IMHO both links should be working or at least that
fallback HP one.
So fixing fallback HP link should be priority, then uploading missing plugins
to openprinting.org should be done after that.

Packages, which is subscribed to hplip in Ubuntu.

  hp-plugin for 3.17.7 and 3.17.9 is not available

Status in HPLIP:
  Confirmed
Status in hplip package in Ubuntu:

  Hi,

  moving to new website https://developers.hp.com/ makes hp plugin non-
  downloadable - this breaks installing any printer where hp plugin is
  needed - please fix it immediately. I cannot find hp plugin on your
  new website, so I cannot even create a temporary patch, which could
  fix it. Patch would be changing fallback url in
  installer/pluginhandler.py to the newest url, where we can find hp
  plugin.