Is it an HP laptop? If so then this is a duplicate of bug 1726160

** Package changed: wayland (Ubuntu) => gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: gnome-shell (Ubuntu)

  random screen rotation of laptop disply when using additional screen.

  I'm on 17.10.  One screen - the laptop screen - rotates at random,
  typically when a video is playing, but not, I think always.  It
  rotates 180 degrees and stays upside down.  Mouse movememnts are
  reversed (ie correct for  the orientation of the screen).

  I tried

  gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.orientation active
  false

  following a thread here https://askubuntu.com/questions/968169/screen-
  randomly-rotates-on-ubuntu-17-10/968284

  but it doesn't stop the behaviour.