Thank you for taking the time to report this bug and helping to make
Ubuntu better. This particular bug has already been reported and is a
duplicate of bug 1722725, so it is being marked as such. Please look at
the other bug report to see if there is any missing information that you
can provide, or to see if there is a workaround for the bug.
Additionally, any further discussion regarding the bug should occur in
the other report. Feel free to continue to report any other bugs you may
find.

** Tags added: multimonitor

   GNOME Shell disabling wrong screen when docking laptop

  Clamshell mode only works immediately after changing display settings

Status in GNOME Shell:

  I have just upgraded to Ubuntu 17.10 (and so switched from Unity to
  Gnome 3).

  I have a laptop and I sometimes use an external monitor with the
  laptop closed (clamshell mode), and I sometimes use the laptop monitor
  with no external monitor.

  If I change my display settings, eg if I change from mirrored display
  mode to extended desktop, or vice versa, it doesn't which direction I
  change it, the point is that I change it, then after that change, I
  can close my laptop lid, and the laptop will switch to just displaying
  on the external monitor, ie, it will work in clamshell mode.

  If I then unplug the external monitor, open the laptop and start using
  it with its own monitor, and then later I plug the monitor back in (at
  this time the monitor turns back on and displays according to whatever
  I had the settings at), and then close the laptop lid again, the
  laptop suspends, the external monitor turns off, ie clamshell mode
  doesn't work.

  The thing that seems to trigger to make clamshell mode work again is
  that I have to change the display settings, from mirrored to extended
  desktop or vice versa, doesn't matter which direction I change it in,
  as long as I change it, that seems to tell the laptop that it's
  allowed to go into clamshell mode when I close the lid.

  So it seems that unplugging the monitor (or maybe plugging it in)
  resets whatever prevents the laptop from suspending when the lid is
  closed, and reconfiguring the display settings turns it back on.

  I've Googled for solutions, most recommend configuring the laptop to
  not suspend when the lid is closed, but that's not an acceptable
  solution - I don't want the laptop to stay on when I unplug it and put
  it in my bag.

  Everything worked as expected with Ubuntu 17.04. The laptop suspended
  when I expected it to (I'm actually not sure if suspending was caused
  by unplugging the external monitor while the lid was closed, or
  unplugging the power while the lid was closed, I expect the latter),
  while closing the lid while an external monitor was connected didn't
  suspend (and again, perhaps this was actually closing the lid when
  power was connected that caused it to stay on, not sure).