Dear Sirs!

I am completely newbie in Linux and in Linux Mint in particular. In my
case adding Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1" clause
in xorg.conf did not change anything in brightness.

uname -a
Linux Dell-XPS-L702X 4.10.0-38-generic #42~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 10
16:32:20 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Xorg.conf

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings:  version 387.22  (buildd@lgw01-amd64-017)  Tue Oct 31
00:34:18 UTC 2017

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load           "dbe"
    Load           "extmod"
    Load           "type1"
    Load           "freetype"
    Load           "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "LGD"
    HorizSync       67.0 - 137.0
    VertRefresh     60.0 - 119.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce GT 555M"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "Stereo" "0"
    Option         "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-2"
    Option         "metamodes" "DP-1: 1920x1080_120 +0+0, DP-2:
nvidia-auto-select +1920+0"
    Option         "SLI" "Off"
    Option         "MultiGPU" "Off"
    Option         "BaseMosaic" "off"
    Option      "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Please, be so kind, help me in solving that issue. I could not imagine before
that impossibility to change display brightness may drive someone crazy.

By the way, I performed all steps concerned brightness described at the
following topic. To my regret I got no results.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/display#TOC-
Brightness-of-the-display-is-wrong-and-not-adjustable

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-power-manager in Ubuntu.

  Laptop brightness on Dell XPS not controllable

Status in gnome-power-manager package in Ubuntu:

   ERROR: Method "GetBrightness" with signature "" on interface
  "org.freedesktop.UPower.KbdBacklight" doesn't exist

  The brightness of my laptop's screen is not changed at all when using the
Fn-Keys.
  Ubuntu displays the notification area with the brightness setting displayed,
it even shows that the brightness value is changed - but the actual brightness
of the screen remains the same at all times!

  Laptop: Dell XPS 17, Full-HD 3D display, Nvidea graphics.