I think this bug broke my desktop when upgrading to Ubuntu 17, but I'm
not sure if it's the originally reported component that has the bug as I
don't know if the re-write for gnome 3 that was mentioned above actually
happened.

In any case, why are the compiz packages available for new installations
if they are clearly broken and won't be fixed?

Packages, which is subscribed to libwnck in Ubuntu.

  Can't drag a window to another workspace

Status in Compiz:
  Fix Released
Status in One Hundred Papercuts:
  Invalid
Status in libwnck:
  Confirmed
Status in compiz package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in libwnck package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gnome-compiz-manager

  When using metacity, I could do the following in the gnome workplace switcher
apllet (bottom right corner of the screen):
  - drag windows to another virtual desktop
  - cycle virtual desktops by using the mouse wheel on the switcher applet. Bug
#150443

  Both are very useful, neither of them works in compiz. I'm using the
  "cube" plugin in CCSM, but using "plan" doesn't change the behavior.

  Running gutsy with all updates. This is a regression in functionality
  because gutsy defaults to compiz.