** Changed in: nautilus

  The selection should not change when using back or forward navigation

Status in One Hundred Papercuts:
  Invalid
Status in Nautilus:
  Invalid
Status in nautilus package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: nautilus

  This is a very frustrating bug that remains in Gnome 2.24.1: Nautilus
  2.24.1.  I think this is a bug and not really a wishlist item.

  Reproduce it:
  1. Open home dir in Nautilus.
  2. Select a subdirectory of home, say "my_dir".
  3. Open that dir by hitting Enter or Ctrl+o.
  4. Click Nautilus' "BACK" button.
  5. BUG: Actual Behavior is that the selection is cleared.  Expected behavior
is
  that the selection remain from the last time I viewed that directory.

  Caveat and inconsistency:
  1. Open home dir in Nautilus.
  2. Select a subdirectory of home, say "my_dir".
  3. Open that dir by hitting Enter or Ctrl+o.
  4. Click Nautilus' "UP" button.
  5. The behavior that I would expect for going BACK is is found!  The
  subdirectory ("my_dir") is now in the selection.  In fact, would say this
could
  be another bug as well.  I expect the "UP" action to act as if I am navigating
  to a new directory, a fresh start.  I do not want the directory I was in to be
  selected.

  Perhaps the code for BACK and UP got swapped accidentally?

  Example use case: I want to examine a directory's contents before doing
  something with it (copying, moving, deleting, etc.):
  1. Open my home directory in Nautilus.
  2. Double-click some directory, say "my_dir" to view its contents.
  3. I see that it's some stuff I want to copy to a flash drive.
  4. Use Nautilus' "Back" button to go back to my home directory.
  5. Assuming that the "my_dir" directory remains selected, I can easily pick it
  out in the long list of files without worrying if I got the right one or not.
  I can even do a Edit->Copy without having to find "my_dir" again and reselect.

  This bug may be related to Bug #64287 (spatial nautilus should remember
selected items), but that deals with "spatial" nautilus and with closed windows.

  ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/nautilus
  Package: nautilus 1:2.24.1-0ubuntu2
  ProcEnviron:
   PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: nautilus