Public bug reported:

Using Ubuntu 17.10 Desktop 64 bit I am unable to start a gnome-session
on my local Ubuntu 17.04 Desktop inside a Xephyr server over SSH.  This
is probably the same bug as https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source
/gnome-session/+bug/1251281 but I don't see a fix for 17.10 and could
not add 17.10 to that bug report.  When I try, I get:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-
session/+bug/1251281/+distrotask

Setup:

local PC is 64 bit Ubuntu Desktop 17.04 - fully updated
remote PC is 64 bit Ubuntu Desktop 17.10 - fully updated

start Xephyr on local PC using:

~$ Xephyr :2 -screen 1280x900 &

set up DISPLAY

~$ export DISPLAY=:2

ssh to remote PC

~$ ssh -YC user@remote

now logged into remote - do a simple test:

~$ xeyes

I see the xeyes open on my local desktop inside the Xephyr window
success. Press CTRL-C in terminal to exit xeyes.

Try to start gnome-session on remote with:

~$ gnome-session --debug

I get the following on the console:

gnome-session-binary[17018]: DEBUG(+): Enabling debugging
gnome-session-binary[17018]: DEBUG(+): hardware acceleration check failed:
Child process exited with code 1
gnome-session-binary[17018]: WARNING: software acceleration check failed: Child
process exited with code 1
gnome-session-binary[17018]: CRITICAL: We failed, but the fail whale is dead.
Sorry....

I expected a non-accelerated gnome session to start inside the Xephyr
window. It does not.

** Affects: gnome-session (Ubuntu)

** Description changed:

  Using Ubuntu 17.10 Desktop 64 bit I am unable to start a gnome-session
  on my local Ubuntu 17.04 Desktop inside a Xephyr server over SSH.  This
  is probably the same bug as https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source
  /gnome-session/+bug/1251281 but I don't see a fix for 17.10 and could
  not add 17.10 to that bug report.  When I try, I get:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-
  session/+bug/1251281/+distrotask

  Setup:

  local PC is 64 bit Ubuntu Desktop 17.04 - fully updated
  remote PC is 64 bit Ubuntu Desktop 17.10 - fully updated

  start Xephyr on local PC using:

  ~$ Xephyr :2 -screen 1280x900 &

  set up DISPLAY

  ~$ export DISPLAY=:2

  ssh to remote PC

  ~$ ssh -YC user@remote

- noe logged into remote - do a simple test:
+ now logged into remote - do a simple test:

  ~$ xeyes

  I see the xeyes open on my local desktop inside the Xephyr window
  success. Press CTRL-C in terminal to exit xeyes.

  Try to start gnome-session on remote with:

  ~$ gnome-session --debug

  I get the following on the console:

  gnome-session-binary[17018]: DEBUG(+): Enabling debugging
  gnome-session-binary[17018]: DEBUG(+): hardware acceleration check failed:
Child process exited with code 1
  gnome-session-binary[17018]: WARNING: software acceleration check failed:
Child process exited with code 1
  gnome-session-binary[17018]: CRITICAL: We failed, but the fail whale is dead.
Sorry....

  I expected a non-accelerated gnome session to start inside the Xephyr
  window. It does not.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-session in Ubuntu.

  gnome-session fails over SSH to remote PC

Status in gnome-session package in Ubuntu:

  Using Ubuntu 17.10 Desktop 64 bit I am unable to start a gnome-session
  on my local Ubuntu 17.04 Desktop inside a Xephyr server over SSH.
  This is probably the same bug as
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-session/+bug/1251281
  but I don't see a fix for 17.10 and could not add 17.10 to that bug
  report.  When I try, I get: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source
  /gnome-session/+bug/1251281/+distrotask