I see the same thing (17.10), gedit 3.22.1:

- if I maximize gedit vertically, gedit foo always opens a new gedit window
- if I maximize gedit horizontall, gedit foo always opens a new gedit window
- if I don't maximize in either direction, gedit foo opens in the existing
gedit window

I'm running Wayland, not sure if that has any impact.

Packages, which is subscribed to gedit in Ubuntu.

  Files opened with gedit on command line no longer open within the
  existing gedit session

Status in gedit package in Ubuntu:

  Prior to my update today to Ubuntu 16.04, I could open a file using
  gedit on the command line and it would open in the gedit window i
  already have open. After updating to 16.04 when I open a file with say
  `gedit /tmp/myleakycode.c` it opens in a new window.

  Oddly, as I was writing this bug report it's now working I expect it
  to, where opening files on the CLI adds to my existing session.

  I'll follow up if I find some pattern as to what triggers this.

  I am running Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 with the 4.4.0-21-generic kernel,
  gedit 3.18.3, terminator 0.98 to open the files.

  Package: gedit 3.18.3-0ubuntu4
  CurrentDesktop: GNOME